- 20 fresh asparagus spears (get the smaller, slender spears)
- 20 thin slices prosciutto
- 10 teaspoons cream cheese
- Prepare the asparagus by snapping off the tough portion. You grasp the stalk with both hands and bend the bottom portion until it breaks off. The asparagus will naturally break off at the point where the tender portion ends and the tough, stringy part begins.
- Blanch the asparagus. Bring salted water to a boil in a large pot. Add asparagus and let boil for 2 minutes (for the smaller spears) 3 minutes if you have larger spears. I always set a timer. You really don't want to overcook the asparagus because you want it to have just a little crunch.
- Immediately remove the asparagus and place in a large bowl of ice filled with water (prepare this ahead of time). This will stop the cooking process immediately.
- After the asparagus is cooled, I scoop them out of the ice water and lay on paper towels to dry. I usually pat them with paper towels to get any excess water off.
- Lay 2 slices of prosciutto flat on top of each other.
- Spread with about 1 teaspoon of cream cheese.
- Lay two asparagus spears along one side of the meat with the top of the spear sticking out a little.
- Roll up tightly, the cream cheese will hold them together.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Calories per wrap - 59
I'm guilty of eating about 4 or 5 of these at at time or as I'm grazing the spread of food!
I found this basic recipe at Finger Food Recipes.