Sugar Cookie Recipe
from my friend Carol
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Sift flour and salt onto waxed paper. Beat butter, sugar and egg in large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed till fluffy; add vanilla. Stir in flour mixture to make a stiff dough; wrap in waxed paper; chill 3 hours, or until firm.
- Roll dough, one quarter at a time, to a 1/4 inch thickness on a lightly floured pastry board. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters.
- Place, 1 inch apart, on cookie sheets. Bake in 350 degree oven for 8 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned at edges.
- Remove to wire racks with spatula, cool.
- Once cooled paint the cookies with the purple sugar cookie icings to create "CF Awareness" messages.
Makes - 3 dozen
(icing recipe below)
Sugar Cookie Icing
(allrecipes.com by JBS BOX)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- assorted food coloring
- new and clean small paintbrush
- In a small bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth (I always have to add a touch more to get it smooth).
- Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
- Divide into separate bowls, and add food coloring to each desired intensity.
- Dip cookies or paint them with a brush.
- Allow 30 minutes for icing to dry before adding/layering colors. Icing should be dry within 90 minutes depending on climate.
Calories per cookie -
Plain sugar cookie - 94 calories
Iced sugar cookie - 116 calories