Welcome

Welcome to my recipe blog. I created this blog so I could share my high calorie recipes. My daughter, Rachel, has CF and I'm always looking for recipes loaded with calories. I hope you see a recipe you'll want to try. Happy browsing.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Auntie Heather's Lumpia

Lumpia is not something I ever heard until living here in Hawaii.  It's questionable if I would've even tried it......had I not seen it made and what went in it.  Almost a year ago, I had it for the first time at my friend, Heather's house.  We had a mom's cooking group.  The best way for me to describe it is.....it's sorta like an egg roll with lots of meat and without that less than desirable cooked cabbage in it.  No funny business in it.....except these weird, clear noodles that I've also never seen 'til living here.  ha  You'll have to try them sometime.  I'm very addicted to lumpia - Heather's recipe that is.  


Auntie Heather's Lumpia

Auntie Heather's Lumpia
by Auntie Heather

Ingredients -

Filling

  • 1 lb hamburger meat
  • 1 onion, sliced thin
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1 carrot, grated
  • 1 pkg. long rice noodles, prepared according to directions, then chopped
  • 2 tbsp oyster sauce
  • lumpia wrappers
  • oil for frying
Sauce
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed (I used my microplane to do the job)
  • 1/2 c. white vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp (more if you prefer) pepper

Directions - 
  1. Brown hamburger 'til half done.
  2. Add onions, salt, and pepper.
  3. Add vegetables.
  4. When vegetables are done; add oyster sauce and mix.
  5. Drain in strainer 'til mixture is dry.
  6. Using about a tablespoon or two; wrap filling in lumpia wrapper (kinda like a burrito) and deep fry.
  7. Drain on paper towels standing up. (I'm a rebel and lay mine flat!)
  8. Mix all ingredients together for sauce.  Dip lumpia in sauce when eating or cut and spoon sauce into lumpia.
I made 24 lumpia with this batch.  
Calories per lumpia - 115 (that's not including the oil it took to fry them)

 In case you end up making more or less you can figure out how many calories are in each of your lumpia. 
Calories per meat mixture batch - 1710
Calories per lumpia wrapper - 44

Somethings to note - 1.) lumpia freezes well (Auntie Heather suggests putting them in the microwave for about 15 or so seconds to thaw a bit before frying - to ensure your lumpia gets cooked completely)  2.) you can also add ingredients like - water chestnuts and beansprouts; if Auntie Heather uses beansprouts she leaves the noodles out.


Lumpia wrappers

Long Rice noodle bag
(in case you need to have an idea of what to look for)

noodles soaking in hot water according to directions

ground beef lumpia mixture

wrapping the lumpia
(kinda like a burrito)

wrapping the lumpia

wrapping the lumpia


all my lumpia...
ready for their hot oil bath!

lumpia getting their hot oil bath
I put just enough oil to cover them half way ,
once the bottom is golden - I turn them

the garlic vinegar sauce
trust me - it's really good on/in the lumpia

nice and golden
cut them in half so you can spoon the
vinegar sauce in them

No comments:

Post a Comment