Welcome

Welcome to my recipe blog. I created this blog so I could share my high calorie recipes. My daughter, Rachel, has CF and I'm always looking for recipes loaded with calories. I hope you see a recipe you'll want to try. Happy browsing.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cream Chicken Enchilada Pot Pies

For some reason I've been on a Mexican-like food kick here lately.  I found this recipe in one of those small cookbooks you find in the grocery store checkout.  I was hesitant to make this because I despise pot pies.  After looking at the ingredients, I figured it would be ok to try.  They are delicious and I will definitely make again.

Creamy Chicken Enchilada Pot Pies

Creamy Chicken Enchilada Pot Pies
from Pillsbury Casseroles & One-Dish Meals (Oct. 2002)

Ingredients -

1 (12oz) can Pillsbury Hungry Jack Golden Layer Refrigerated Biscuits or just do what I did and use something comparable that you can actually find
2 2/3 oz (2/3 c) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2/3 c crisp rice cereal **aka Rice Krispies!
1 T vegetable oil
1/2 lb chicken breast strips for stir-frying
1 (8oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 (4.5oz) can Old El Paso Chopped Green Chiles
1 (10oz) can Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce
2 T chopped fresh cilantro

Directions -
  1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Separate dough into 10 biscuits.  Press each biscuit to form 4 1/2-inch round.  Place 1 biscuit round in ungreased muffin cup; firmly press in bottom and up sides, forming 1/4-inch rim.  Repeat with remaining biscuits.
  2. Spoon about 1 T each of cheese and cereal into each biscuit-lined cup; press mixture in bottom.
  3. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot.  Add chicken; cook and stir to medium.  Add cream cheese, chiles, 1/2 c of the enchilada sauce and cilantro; cook and stir until blended and cream cheese is melted.  Spoon about 1/3 c chicken mixture into each cup.  Cups will be full
  4. Bake at 375 degrees for 21 to 26 minutes or until edges of biscuits are deep golden brown.  Heat remaining enchilada sauce.  Spoon warm sauce over pies.
Yields - 10 pot pies
Serves - 5 (2 pot pies per serving)
Calories per serving - 540

     Ok, so here's the deal.  I realized as I typing this I totally made my pot pies wrong last night.  I failed to read the part that said "separate dough into 10 biscuits".  No wonder mine turned out to be giant sized!  lol  Oh, well, they still tasted great! 
     So, for additional calories - melt some shredded cheese on top and give it a dollop of sour cream.  Mmm...so glad I have leftovers!
     FYI - you can always use different meat.  I actually used pork meat that I had frozen a while back.  It worked great. 

Topped with enchilada sauce.
I also added the shredded cheese....after the pic was taken.

Rachel's plate complete with veggies.
If you look really hard you can see them.

All mine.

I should rename them to
"Creamy Chicken Enchilada Cupcakes"

No comments:

Post a Comment