Welcome

Welcome to my recipe blog. I created this blog so I could share my high calorie recipes. My daughter, Rachel, has CF and I'm always looking for recipes loaded with calories. I hope you see a recipe you'll want to try. Happy browsing.

Monday, January 9, 2012

Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup

I've had this recipe for some time - maybe something like a year.  I just never made it until last night.  Don't you know....I do regret waiting for-ever to make it.  It tastes just like the restaurant version.....and I usually order a cup of this soup when we go to Chili's.  It's easy and tastes great.  Rachel loved it and she's usually just a tomato soup girl!

Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup
Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup
printed from internet search -
I don't know the site

Ingredients -

1 T vegetable oil
3 c cooked shredded chicken (I baked a small chicken and shredded the entire thing)
1/2 c diced onion
1 clove garlic; pressed, grated, or very finely diced
4 c chicken broth
1 c masa harina (flour found in baking section) *all purpose flour may be substituted
3 c water
1 c enchilada sauce
16 oz Velveeta
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin

Directions -
  1. Add oil to  a large pot over medium heat.  Add onions and cook until almost translucent, then add garlic and cook for a couple minutes.
  2. Add chicken broth
  3. Combine masa harina with 2 (of the 3) cups of water in a medium bowl and whisk until blended. *Do this with all purpose flour if that's what you're using. 
  4. Add masa harina mixture to the pot with garlic, onions, and broth.
  5. Add remaining water, enchilada sauce, cheese, and spices to the pot and bring mixture to a boil.
  6. Add chicken to the pot.  Reduce heat and simmer soup for 30-40 minutes or until thick. 
  7. Serve soup in cups or bowls, and garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled corn tortilla chips and pico de gallo.

Pico de gallo -
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1/2 c diced Spanish onion
2 tsp chopped fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and de-ribbed
2 tsp finely minced fresh cilantro
pinch of salt

Serving size - 1 cup
Makes roughly 13 servings
Calories per serving - 212
Calories per pot - 2754 calories

This is so easy to add calories when served.  As mentioned in #7, you can add shredded cheddar or tortilla chips.  When I make a bowl for myself, I like to add a dollop of sour cream, the shredded cheddar, and use the tortilla chips as crackers.  Corn chips are also really good. 


No comments:

Post a Comment