|My version of the Cajun Pasta.|
As it turns out....I had very few of the same ingredients
at Living Life Southern Style
- 1 pkg uncooked pasta (Shanee used linguine) I used Ronzoni Smart Taste thin spaghetti
- 1 yellow squash (washed and sliced thinly and then halved) I used 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 zucchini (washed and sliced thinly and then halved) I used 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 medium white onion (chopped to bite sized)
- 1 red pepper and 1 green pepper (chopped to bite sized) didn't have peppers
- 3 boneless pork chops (Shanee had these onhand) I used a 2lb bag frozen raw shrimp
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth plus 3 tsp
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 T olive oil
- Grill meat to just shy of done. You can season your meat with salt and pepper and Cajun spice if you desire. The above 1/2 tsp of Cajun seasoning is for the veggies, so you would use additional to season meat. Remove meat from grill, let rest for 5 minutes and thinly slice.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. When draining reserve 1/2 cup pasta water.
- While pasta is cooking heat olive oil in a large saute pan. Saute squash, zucchini, onion, and peppers until tender. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Add meat to pan. Add white wine and reduce by half, When reduced add 1 cup chicken broth, salt and pepper and Cajun seasoning. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. While this is simmering mix corn starch with 3 tsp chicken broth until smooth. Gently whisk into meat and veggies and cook 30 seconds till thickened slightly.
- Add 1/2 cup reserved pasta water and drained pasta to meat/veggies mixture and mix well.
Calories per serving - 356
Shanee says, "There are literally a million ways to tweak this dish to your own tastes."
Boy, Shanee was right when she said you can make this many different ways! I had fully intended on making it her way but quickly realized I didn't have very many of the same ingredients. So, the calories with the way I made it varied a little. Plus, the pasta I use these days has extra fiber (5g fiber per serving).
Calories per serving (my concoction) - 433
Of course, you can add a few more calories by serving this dish with garlic bread and salad with full fat dressing!
|In my pasta serving dish.|
|Hubby's bowl of Cajun pasta.|
Can you tell he doesn't eat vegetables?