This dessert is what we took to Rachel's CF care team. She had clinic and we've made it our thing to bring them goodies. They help take such good care of Rachel, so we like to treat them. I found this recipe in "Taste of Home Comfort Food 2009" magazine. Too bad I waited three years to make it!
|Rach wanted me to cut a piece for us.|
Chocolate Chip Cheesecake
from "Taste of Home Comfort Food 2009" magazine
by Christina Till, South Haven, Michigan
- 2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 60 wafters)
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 T baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 4 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups miniature chocolate chips
- 3 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1 T butter, melted
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Toasted coconut, walnuts and maraschino cherries, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom and 1 inch up sides of a 10 inch springform pan. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. I left out the coconut and the crust turned out fine.)
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Combine sugar and cornstarch; beat into cream cheese. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Add the cream and vanilla; stir in chocolate chips. Pour into prepared crust.
- Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 60-65 minutes or until center is nearly set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around the edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. (Cheesecake top may crack but topping will cover.)
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the chocolate, butter and sugar. Slowly beat in the cream until mixture achieves spreading consistency. Spread over the cheesecake. Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove sides of pan. Garnish cheesecake with the coconut, walnuts and cherries if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
Calories per serving - 585
|Look at all those chocolate chips!|
|She's such a rascal!|