Welcome

Welcome to my recipe blog. I created this blog so I could share my high calorie recipes. My daughter, Rachel, has CF and I'm always looking for recipes loaded with calories. I hope you see a recipe you'll want to try. Happy browsing.

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Aunt Christine's Open Faced Tuna Melt

When Rachel and I visited Aunt Christine in April, she made us this open faced tuna melt.  I've never eaten a tuna melt before and really didn't expect to like it.  It was really good; so good that I asked her how she made it.  If you like tuna or tuna salad sandwiches, you should give this one a go. 

so warm, nice crunchy bread, and melty cheese

Aunt Christine's Open Faced Tuna Melt
from Aunt Christine

Ingredients -

  • 1 5oz can solid white tuna in water
  • 1 1/2 T mayo
  • 1 tsp diced onion
  • salt, pepper to taste
  • 1/2 c shredded mozzarella (or other cheese of choice - I would have used sliced cheese but was out....that's what Aunt Chris uses)
  • 2 thick cut slices bread (I cut 2 thick slices of french bread - it's what I had; Aunt Chris likes to use this nutty wheat bread from Costco's bakery)
  • 2 pats butter

Directions -
  1. Open tuna can and drain water.  Put tuna in a bowl.
  2. Add mayo, onion, salt, and pepper.  Stir well until combined.
  3. Butter one side of each slice of bread.
  4. Divide tuna into 2 halves.  Spread one half on each slice of bread (on the un-buttered side)
  5. Get a skillet and put on over medium heat.  Place your open faced tuna sandwiches in the skillet butter side down....you are toasting the bottom of the sandwich. (pic below)
  6. Once the bread is toasted, transfer the sandwiches to a baking sheet.
  7. Turn the broiler on (low - if you're like me and have a habit of walking away from the oven and letting things burn or high - if you're good and stay close and actually pay attention).
  8. Add 1/4c shredded cheese to each sandwich right on top of the tuna (or a slice of cheese if that's what you're using).
  9. Broil until the cheese is nice and melty.
Serves 2.
Calories per serving - 358

toasting the bottom

All done and ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment