|so warm, nice crunchy bread, and melty cheese|
Aunt Christine's Open Faced Tuna Melt
from Aunt Christine
- 1 5oz can solid white tuna in water
- 1 1/2 T mayo
- 1 tsp diced onion
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1/2 c shredded mozzarella (or other cheese of choice - I would have used sliced cheese but was out....that's what Aunt Chris uses)
- 2 thick cut slices bread (I cut 2 thick slices of french bread - it's what I had; Aunt Chris likes to use this nutty wheat bread from Costco's bakery)
- 2 pats butter
- Open tuna can and drain water. Put tuna in a bowl.
- Add mayo, onion, salt, and pepper. Stir well until combined.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Divide tuna into 2 halves. Spread one half on each slice of bread (on the un-buttered side)
- Get a skillet and put on over medium heat. Place your open faced tuna sandwiches in the skillet butter side down....you are toasting the bottom of the sandwich. (pic below)
- Once the bread is toasted, transfer the sandwiches to a baking sheet.
- Turn the broiler on (low - if you're like me and have a habit of walking away from the oven and letting things burn or high - if you're good and stay close and actually pay attention).
- Add 1/4c shredded cheese to each sandwich right on top of the tuna (or a slice of cheese if that's what you're using).
- Broil until the cheese is nice and melty.
Calories per serving - 358
|toasting the bottom|
|All done and ready to eat.|