Rachel and I are growing a chili pepper plant for my hubby and he really didn't know what to make with them other than his "blister your tongue" chili. I suggested spicy mac n cheese or told him to just add it to stuff he already likes. Well, he decided to make spicy mac n cheese. I was afraid I wouldn't like it because his idea of spicy is actually turn your face bright red and sweat when you eat it. To my surprise, this was really good and just a little spicy.....a little tingle on my tongue.
Spicy Chicken Mac n Cheese
from my hubby
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 T. flour
- 1/4 tsp. ground thyme
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced or grated
- 2 or 3 super chili peppers (these are small), finely chopped (or hot pepper of choice)
- 1/4 c melted butter
- 1 lb. macaroni noodles
- 8 oz Velveeta Mexican cheese, cubed for easier melting
- 20 oz Velveeta Sharp Cheddar cheese, cubed for easier melting
- 1 c milk
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- In a large pan, fill with water and cook macaroni noodles according to package directions and drain.
- In a small bowl, mix salt, pepper, mustard and flour. Then sprinkle over noodles - toss to coat.
- In another large pan, mix butter and milk over a medium/medium low heat. Add garlic, hot pepper and both cheeses and stirring frequently until completely melted and creamy.
- Once it's all melted and smooth, stir in the noodles and chicken....and your ready to eat.
Serves - approx. 8/10
Calories per serving - for 8 servings - 577
for 10 servings - 462
|Can you see the little red bits of the chili peppers?|
|Leftovers the next day.....not as creamy but still very good.|