|recipe on box is for a full pie to serve 6|
I made mine mini.....I just gotta be different
from Challenge Butter (unsalted) box
adapted slightly by me
- 1 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust
- 3/4 to 1 lb fresh asparagus spears, cleaned and cut into 3/4 inch pieces (2-2 1/2 cups)
- 3 T Challenge Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 c chopped onions (I used less - about 1/4 c)
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 c milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 ounces (1 1/4 c) shredded Monterey jack cheese (I used a little cheddar, a little Italian blend - it's all I had!)
- 2 inch biscuit or cookie cutter (if you want to make mini's)
- mini muffin pan (if you want to make mini's)
- non-stick cooking spray
1. Blanch asparagus for 2 minutes in boiling water, cool in ice water, drain and set aside.
2. Melt butter in a small saute pan over medium heat. Add curry and cayenne pepper; cook one minute.
3. Saute onion in curry butter until soft and most of the moisture has evaporated; set aside to cool.
4. In a small bowl beat, eggs, milk and salt.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
6. Unroll pie crust and use your biscuit cutter to cut 24 circles.
7. Spray your mini muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
8. Put the pie crust circles in your muffin pan.
9. Add a pinch of cheese to each mini pie crust.
10. Add a little onion mixture and asparagus on top of cheese.
11. Pour egg mixture over the top.
12. Bake about 20 minutes or until custard is set and golden.
|cooling asparagus in ice water|
|I just love refrigerated pie crust|
the original recipe has you making your own
|all ready to fill|
|all that's left now is to add the egg mixture|
|some crustless asparagus quiche|
I had asparagus, cheese, & egg mixture left over....
but no crust; not to worry - these were fantastic too
they were made in a regular size muffin pan
Makes roughly 36 mini's.
Calories per mini - approx. 82.5
Calories per whole pie if you go that route - 2970 - that serves six - 495 per serving