This is a favorite of mine. I found it in one of my new cookbooks, "Pillsbury Bake-Off Winners". Not only to I make this recipe as directed below, I will make it into a pasta dish and have salad with it.
Chicken Marsala Sandwiches
1/4 c olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 c all-purpose flour
salt and pepper, if desired
1lb chicken breast cut for scaloppine by butcher (or 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts pounded to
1/8 inch thickness)
1 can (6oz) sliced mushrooms broiled in butter, drained
1/2 c Marsala (sweet) wine or apple juice
1 can ready to serve French onion soup
4 Kaiser rolls
4 oz fontina cheese, sliced, shaved or grated
1 T parsley flakes, if desired
1. In a small microwavable bowl, mix oil and garlic. Microwave on high 1 minute; set aside. Place flour on a plate; stir in salt and pepper. Coat chicken with flour, shaking off excess.
2. In a 12 inch non-stick skillet (1 1/2 inches deep), place 1 T of the heated oil without garlic pieces. Heat oil over a medium-high heat 1 to 2 minutes or until hot but not smoking. Add chicken, cutting large pieces in half, if necessary, so all the chicken fits in the skillet; cook 4 to 6 minutes, turning once, until no longer pink in the center and golden brown. Remove chicken from skillet; place on plate and cover to keep warm.
3. In same skillet, cook mushrooms over medium-high heat for 1 minute, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly heated. Stir in wine and soup with heatproof rubber spatula or wooden spoon to scrape up brown bits from the bottom of the skillet. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly heated.
4. Meanwhile, set oven to broil. Split rolls; place cut side up on a large cookie sheet. Broil 6 to 8 inches from heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown. Brush cut sides with remaining oil mixture with garlic pieces; top evenly with fontina cheese. Broil 30 to 60 seconds or until cheese is melted.
5. Return chicken to skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered 2 to 3 minutes, turning chicken occasionally, until chicken is coated with sauce. Divide chicken evenly among rolls. With slotted spoon, divide mushrooms and onion over chicken. Pour wine sauce into 4 (4 oz) ramekins or dipping bowls. Sprinkle parsley on individual plates; place sandwiches and ramekins of sauce for dipping on plates.
Serves 4 ( 1 sandwich and 3 T sauce each)
580 calories per serving (260 calories from fat)