We took this little gem to Rachel's CF care team.
Paula's Favorite Peppermint Cake
from Paula Deen "Cooking with Paula Deen"
Nov/Dec 2008 issue
- 1 c. butter, softened
- 2 c. sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 c. heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 c. sour cream
- 1/2 crushed peppermint candies
- White Chocolate Frosting (recipe follows)
- Garnish: peppermint sticks
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Spray 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with nonstick baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar at a medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in peppermint extract.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add to butter mixture, alternately with cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating until combined after each addition.
- Stir in sour cream and crushed peppermints, just until combined.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into batter.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 26 - 28 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- Wrap cake layers in heavy-duty plastic wrap, and chill for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- Using a serrated knife, cut each cake layer in half horizontally to make 4 layers.
- Place 1 layer, cut side down, on a cake plate: spread with 1/2 c. White Chocolate Frosting.
- Repeat procedure with remaining 3 layers.
- Spread sides and top of cake with remaining frosting.
- Garnish with peppermint sticks, if desired.
White Chocolate Frosting
Makes about 5 cups
- 8 (1 ounce) squares white chocolate
- 3/4 c. heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 c. butter, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 9 c. confectioner's sugar
- In a medium bowl, combine white chocolate and cream.
- Microwave on High in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until chocolate is melted and smooth (about 1 1/2 minutes total).
- Let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine chocolate mixture and butter. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add vanilla, beating until combined.
- Gradually add confectioner's sugar, beating until smooth
A couple things to note here....one I didn't bother adding up the calories.....just know/trust that it's a boat load. Second, the baking spray with flour is a must! If you don't have that, just the regular pan spray....be sure you lightly dust the pans with flour after you spray them. I just used regular spray thinking it would be fine.....it wasn't - one cake stuck and well, what was supposed to be a 4 layer cake turned into a 3 layer cake! ha.
|Miss Rach adding the peppermint |
and sporting the apron Granny made for her.
|Carefully spreading the frosting.|
|Carefully licking the frosting!|
|Ta-da....all done and ready to go.|