|Shrimp Au Gratin|
with yellow squash
Shrimp Au Gratin
from Paula Deen & Friends
1/2 c (1 stick) butter
1/2 c all -purpose flour
1/2 c whole milk
1/2 c dry white wine
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 1/2 c grated Cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over a very low heat. When butter is completely melted, stir in the flour with a wooden spoon. Cook for about a minute over low heat, stirring constantly. Slowly add the milk. Using a whisk, stir briskly until you have a smooth sauce, about 2 minutes. Add the wine, lemon juice, black pepper, and cayenne. Whisk again. Switch to the wooden spoon and keep stirring the white sauce until it is completely smooth and thickened, about the consistency of mayonnaise. Remove from heat.
- Bring 2 c water and 1/2 tsp salt to a boil in a medium pot and add the shrimp. When the water returns to a boil, cook shrimp for 1 minute. Drain immediately. Roughly chop the shrimp and put in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the sauce over the shrimp. With a large spoon, gently combine.
- Spray an 11x7 inch casserole dish. Pour the mixture into the pan. Place grated cheese on top, completely covering the shrimp mixture.
- Bake at 350 for about 25 to 30 minutes until bubbly.
Calories - when serving 4 - 892 per serving
when serving 6 - 595 per serving
If you decide you want to make Paula's original "Shrimp and Crab Au Gratin" you'll use 1 pound shrimp & 1 pound claw crabmeat and the rest is the same. Like I wrote earlier, I served this over rice and it was good.
|Shrimp Au Gratin casserole|
right out of the oven