Basic Southern Cornbread
1 egg, beaten
1 1/3 c milk (buttermilk is even better )
1/4 c oil or melted shortening
2 c Gladiola Buttermilk Self-Rising Corn Meal Mix
- Heat oven to 450. Grease a 9-inch skillet or 9-inch square pan (cast iron skillet is the best); place in oven to heat.
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients; mix well.
- Pour batter into hot greased pan.
- Bake at 450 for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy with real butter.
Calories per serving - roughly 232 per slice - before you add butter
Tips - If batter seems too thick, add a little more milk.
* Recipe can be baked in muffin cups or cornsticks pan. Grease 12 muffin cups or cornsticks pan; place in oven to heat. Fill muffin cups or cornsticks pan 2/3 full. Bake at 450 for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Sometimes, I like to add some shredded cheddar cheese, a little bit of kernel corn, and a little diced jalapeno for "Mexican" cornbread. Hubby likes it when I just add shredded cheddar.
***Just don't add sugar! If you add sugar you've made cake; it's no longer cornbread! I think it actually may be a sin to add sugar to cornbread. Just sayin'.
|The batter.....we're gettin' there.|
|I just love my cornbread skillet.|
It makes 8 perfect slices!